Tuesday, June 22, 2010

you've got a friend in me

I'm not high maintenance.


My toenails are naturally purple 6 months a year. My last manicure was in 2008. And my commitment to daily leg shaving ended in 1992. Make-up is more of a passing interest than a normal routine. And don't get me started on my "eyebrow upkeep". That's a whole other post.

But the hair - the hair

My name is Emily and I consistently schedule my salon appointments.
I schedule for some version of a highlight (full/partial/brushlight) two months in advance on or around the 12th of each month.

I am a bit OCD about my need to be shlaquered [yes, it's a word] in bleach and aluminum foil.

I have had the same hairdresser for 10 years. She moves locations....I move with her. When she says "jump" i jump. Then something happened [little thing we call life] and she said, "I'm quiting" [stopping doing hair sounds nicer doesn't it?!]and whammo .. I need a new hairdresser [and psychologist/councilor] STAT.  I love you J.N.!

So how'd it go? Somehow . . . . Fabulous.  "HH" is an adorable 25 year old, blonde. As she combed through my hair, sectioning out different clumps and pinning them up in hair clips. She was careful to comb slowly so as to not tug on my super thick fine blonde mane and sweetly streaked tendrils.


She was young - "HH".  A head full of thick golden blonde [of course, natural] hair and a fringe of platinum highlights just around the hairline. She spoke fondly of her mom & boyfriend.

And I thought she was cool.

Then she said she was so happy her boyfriend was awesome because her girlfriends "completely suck". She went on to say, "I do wish I had some really great girlfriends."


I sighed.

If I had met her a year and a half ago I would have marched right in with my, "I know girlfriends can be rough" comments - and that's when I did what I do best . . . went to blonde-land where I act like I am listening but I am so NOT "there". I started thinking about my friends.


I told her I used to wish for that very same thing when I was her age [no, I'm not 84 but 25 seems a while ago] - and I've since learned that they [new friends] are worth seeking out. I explained how I now have friends I'd certainly call "friends" [even in the blogging world] that I just simply adore. I would help them out in any way I possibly could. They are "loyal". And loyal, is BIG with me.

And that's when she asked it.

How old are you?

33, I replied.

"Wow. Well you don't look your age," she said without a thought or hesitation [well, I suppose the thought of her upcoming tip COULD have crossed her mind].

As much as I wanted to ask what 33 "looked like", I refrained.

Instead, I said what I felt.


My "friends" will always [first and foremost] be my family & God. AND [not BUT] lately I am finding just how much joy, fun, laughter & support can be offered by friends EVEN {gasp} the girl types. Not sure how I would have made it through the last one to two years without my friends. To some I am "difficult" to others I am "easy" and to Judi, I am "too low-maintenance" [I'm sure she's going to take that one back after the lunch we had today but . . .].

To get in my car [while still at lunch destination] and get a text [she IS the world's fastest texter, I swear] saying:

You've got a friend in me.
You've got a friend in me.
If you've got troubles, I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and can see it through
Cause you've got a friend in me

[she went on with verse #2 .."bigger/stronger too" because she's like 5' and 90 lbs soaking wet]

What I love most is that she rented this movie ToyStory [#1] on Thursday night because I told her she "wasn't American if she hadn't seen it".  I'm awesome, huh?  She thought not having kids gave her a "free pass" to NOT see it.  whatever.  she [of course, loved it]

So to all my "friends" out there. I'm trying. I'm trying to be THAT friend.
*COME ON - I know you love my deer in the headlights photo.  And "no" you may not know what she was holding. ;)*

22 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

That hairdresser - seriously, wait until you are 36 like me - then people (generally 20-somethings) are much less shy about saying, "WOW, you don't look that OLD!" GEEZ.

I love that text message.

Evolving Through Running said...

Glad that my earlier comment was well timed and well received. This is yet another great post. Anybody that gets and/or receives any type of communication in any way related to Toy Story is definitely a keeper. I'm man enough to say that I watched Toy Story 2 with my daughter Sunday after we saw Toy Story 3 on Saturday, and when the scene with the 'When She Loved Me' song came on I was getting a little choked up. Those movies are the gold standard.

The Boring Runner said...

...and now I have that song in my head!

Good friends are worth their weight in gold.

Aimee said...

Aw...good post! I only have about a handful of really, true friends, but I cherish them dearly and would do anything, absolutely anything, for them!

I'm glad the new hairdresser worked out! :)

Char said...

Amen to all your friends comments.

Hope Chella said...

Nothing better than a good hairdresser!

Have a great week,
Hope xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Love love love that song, and toy story too for that matter :)
I am 33 too and wonder what it is "supposed" to look like.

Hope to meet you in person someday but until then, glad to have you as a virtual friend for sure!

Anne said...

Just wait till you reach your 50's :)

You look awesome!

Sarah said...

I know what's she's holding. She's holding a white square.

Melissa said...

I would have said the same thing at 25. But a few years later, I feel the same way about my friends. I don't know how I did it without them.

Madison M. said...

aww I really enjoyed your post!! Girl friends are soo hard to come by.. Well should I say.. TRUE Gilfriends are hard to come by! Specially when your my age.. (21)

Kevin and Kim Partridge said...

You do look great for your age. You do have some amazing friends. You also have some naughty friends, who try their hardest to do the right thing, but just seem to keep missing the mark. OK. Maybe that's just one friend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patrick Mahoney said...

Another home run post. Thanks for writing.

Stacie said...

Great post. I'm thankful for all of my bloggy friends. True friends are few and far between. It's nice to get on here and share our lives with other people who "get it."

I've had the same hairdresser now for 6 years. I'd hate to look for a new one. I'm glad yours is working out.

Kelly Leigh said...

I have a few really good girl friends but they are scattered across the globe. I'm having a hard time finding them here. The other day I was talking about the blogging world to the husband, and I was like well my blogging friends blah blah... and he was like blogging friends? Really Kelly? yes REALLY!!

Johann said...

Good one! I treasure my friends.

Marlene said...

You're killing me with the censorship in the photo! LOL!

Julie said...

Your new hair stylist did an awesome job! You look great:) You are right....bloggy friends are the best! Glad to have found your blog:)

Megan said...

I'm just now getting back to hanging out with friends. My kids are getting big enough that i feel like i can spend more time with my friends. I love having the break from mommydom.

Jeri said...

I totally relate w/HH. Mid-20s seems to be the worst time to have geniuine friendships. People are breaking up, getting married, popping out babies, and w/those life changes friends seem to be somewhat expendable. Good to know that ladies embrace their friends again in the next couple of years. :) Love your heartfelt posts btw. :)

Lucas R. Tucker said...

waht a sweet post.