Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Head Over Heels" - The Go-Go's [Gotein Review]

okay.

So anyone who even kinda sorta knows me . . . . k n o w s . . . . .

I'm. addicted. to. protein. shakes. 

No joke.

I'm pretty sure it's a FULL on addiction.

When we travel on an airplane I get all wigged out if we are not "checking" a bag "in" because that means I can't take my pre-made shakes.  Which makes me have to google where we will be staying to see if there is a Hi-Health [or similar] near by.

drives. the. Pita. nuts.

I'm also not a big fan of breakfast or brunch with the family and or girlfriend because that means I have to look for a way to "sneak in" my protein shake.

Movies ---- I'm usually covered.  I've got a purse that could hold half the contents of my fridge.  However, if I'm going with Peanut . . . . . "there's no room for my crap" AND my purse somehow becomes hers.

Anyway . . . .

Enter the best invention EVER.

Gotein.

Yep.  Like "protein" on the "go".

f r e a k i n g . awesome.

So you can imagine my excitement when I was contacted by them to do a review.

HECK YES!  Sign me up!

Ever since I received these. . . . . it has been pure bliss

You see, I hop in the car:

BAM . . . there's my Gotein.

I go to feed my the Pita's scorpions:

[no, do not feed your pet scorpions Gotein.........yes, they'd like it but why share?]
[yes, this is the ugly face that happens when you are trying to tell a 10.98 year old to use a flash while trying to smile].

Share.  SHARE.  s h a r e? ? ?

ugggg.

I did "have to" share with Peanut.

She loved getting her "shake" on.

Even crazier . . . .she loved it!  [which sucks for me] Which is crazy talk because she has HATED every other one she has ever tried.

It has been a [not so little] little joke around my place that I'm a weeeeee bit too excited about this product.

I took them with me all over this week.

Pre-gym.

Post-gym.

on the way to summer camp.

Why the heck not?

Here's how you do it: [info from their website]

"Drink approximately 1/3 of a 16.9 fl. oz water. 

Add complete packet of Gotein to your water bottle, swirl and shake well until completely dissolved and enjoy a tasty, low carb [GFree] shake!

Best to use between 20 to 30 minutes before and after exercise or active sport.

Can also be used 30 to 45 minutes before meals to help curb your hunger."

My favorites t r a w b e r r y .

Each packet is between 100-110 calories.
Contains 5-6 carbs.
Has 16-17g of protein.

So.
now.
come.
June 23rd . . . . .  Seattle Rock N Roll Marathon . . . .

My little TSA friends can kiss my x-ray loving bum.  They may think I'm importing coke but . . . .

And my Pita will be happy we don't have to find the nearest health food store as soon as we land.

What's your "go-to" food addiction?

?   ?   ?   ?   ?

Don't forget to enter my give-a-way [ends Sunday night at midnight]

49 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I like the gotein too. Easy. Haven't tried the strawberry yet and now you got me all excited. Does it taste like Frankenberry cereal? I hope so.

Neon Blonde Runner said...

I want to drink one of these NOW!

16 grams of protein and only 110 calories? That's quite the winning combination.

I wonder what the best flavor is.

bobbi said...

I have never been much of a protein shake lover. But if the Peanut likes it...

Anonymous said...

My current addiction is strawberry spinach salad!

Emz said...

Bobbi. Yes!!
Suar - frankengoogkeberryalltheway.
Neon- choc, van & strawberry. I'm a berry lover!

Emz said...

TLT best summer salad. Ever!! Yum!! Eat it with Gotein. ;)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Yay! I'm excited to try this stuff! Gotein is sending me a few samples...prolly cuz I know you!

If I drink it, I will run like you, yes?! Awesome. Sold.

I didn't forget about your "recovery" treats either. Sorry so late! :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I got the Gotein for a trial/giveaway yesterday and my husband already stole a chocolate one from my box! I can't wait to try them now!

HD said...

I'll have to check into this! I use Titan protein because it comes in nifty little single serving packets. Good to know there is other options :)

Patrick Mahoney said...

I will now use this product in the car at such times when Ian can take a picture from the back...

Marlene said...

I am addicted to many things... protein shakes are not one of them!

I like chocolate milk for recovery. Mmmmm!

Emz said...

p-funk. Ever heard of a phone. Ya my almost 11 year old . . . she has stupid parents that bought her one. Don't check your mailbox.

Jess. girl you don't need to send me a thing. you are so awesome.

BWMFA -loved that.

Hailey - it is all about the packets. seriously.

Marlene - close enough. ;)

Molly said...

I heart chocolate flavored Amazing Grass. I blend it with almond milk, and a frozen banana so it's so thick it's like ice cream. I honestly feel better after I drink/eat it with a spoon. : )

LB said...

im reviewing gotein right now too. LOVE it!!!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Um how have I not been following your blog? Love it and am so excited to catch up.

You are freaking amazing. And I haven't ever tried gotein but really need too.

LB said...

and strawberry is my favorite too...hands DOWN!

Anonymous said...

"...not a big fan of breakfast or brunch..."

This is why it would never work.

Omelet, bacon, hash browns, pancakes and more bacon - yum!

Allison said...

Strawberry Gotein is my fave too.

Currently, I am addicted to Click Espresso Protein drink. YUM!!!!! Vanilla Latte Natural style. Delish.

Unknown said...

Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Almond bars --- LOVE THEM!!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

funniest label ever!!!

kiss my something TSA

adena said...

I wonder if they are available in Canada, time to do some digging. I like my homemade ones but these sound great.

Yay I can comment here I can comment here I can comment here!!!

adena said...

seeeeee there it is!

Evolving Through Running said...

Such an enthusiastic review - may need to seek this out and give it a try. Kinda tired of my chocolate whey protein shakes from the tanker-truck sized drum. Big fan of all the single-serving sized packs that you can dump into water bottles. I have a slight addiction to the Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy single-serve packets. Don't drink coffee, so these little guys help keep me upright after morning runs.

Gotta love SUAR with the Frankenberry reference. Sugar cereals make me smile. Oatmeal makes my mouth sad. In the grand scheme of vices I figure this one isn't too bad.

Kittee said...

Protein on the Go. I am loving that.

Right now I am too addicted to internet shopping.. My Hubs is going to kill me.. haha I will be hitting the gotein website... haha

The Green Girl said...

You just don't know how amused I am by this post.

Michelle said...

Lovin' the shots from the back in the car which I am assuming were taken by Peanut. Too cute!

Will try the Gotein!

Char said...

Genius idea.

Which part of my beautiful country are you coming to in late December? If you're in Brisbanewe'll have to catch up - maybe come for a run (cause it'd feel just like home - hot, humid and horrible)

Bev said...

After reading your review, I had to try Gotein. Went to their web page and ordered their "free" sample (three flavors for a $3 handling fee). Now I'm impatiently waiting for delivery.

I'll be set for on-the-go protein with this and Justin's Almond Butter in individual packets. Yum!

Thanks for the review.

Emz said...

Bev. Yay! You will love them!!

racing dawn said...

Currently my addiction is Dr. Pepper and sugar cookies. Am I banned from the blog?!?

Gotein sounds great! Like Bev I will now go to their website to score me some semi free samples!!! They would be perfect for ride home from gym...

And really? That scorpion is for real?!? Living in your house?!?

Emz said...

Dawn. Dawn. Dawn. How did you not see the scorpions on top of our fridge?!?!

Jill said...

YUM!! I make protein shakes every day and sometimes it's a pain pain pain! I'll give it a try (do you know if you have to order it online only?)

Emz said...

Jill hey girl!!!!!
Yes online. You can save $4/box if you use product code/coupon "Anna". Yay!

Or I think you can get samples free & just pay $3.00 in shipping!

Awesome.

Michelle said...

Ok after your review I have to try it so I ordered the free sample - hope they ship quickly. My current addiction? Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk post run...must have!

Karine said...

Just ordered my "free" samples too. However, I wish I had sampled your samples before committing to another protein drink. If I don't care for it, I know I won't have any trouble finding someone to give it to.

XLMIC said...

That face is NEVER ugly.

Ever.

And I'm still freaked by PITA's scorpions…even a whole state a way…

Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl said...

I would please like to know the secret to having your ponytail look that nice when you leave the gym. Mine is always sweaty and semi crusty-gross looking.

Abby said...

I've never been big on protein shakes, but my husband loves 'em. Might have to check these out for our travels to Costa Rica later this month - five day race!

My current obsession? I've been consuming ungodly amounts of spinach-tomato-peach-grilled asparagus salad, with pumpkin cornbread on the side. Seriously, like once a day for a couple weeks now. It's the perfect combination.

Emz said...

Britt. Truth be told. That photo was after an abs + arms [only] workout. ;)

Jason said...

Bananas are my go to food. It is consumed 2-3x per day. I love nature's candy.

Trish said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try this!

Btw, can I still buy one of your "freaking" shirts??

Richelle said...

I've been drinking nuun post-runs and like it. Otherwise, I'm totally addicted to chocolate. :)

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Ha, some of the photos look like an actual professional ad ... they should be pleased with the review!

KovasP said...

Peanut makes the Gotein look like that shake-weight thing.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Mine is honey stinger waffles

Mommyrunsoncoffee said...

Peanut butter is always on my menu.

I need to try that gotein!

Petraruns said...

I've never found a shake I liked but I'm going to see if we can find that stuff here - very convenient and might just be tasty..

RunningLaur said...

hmm, this sounds like a great thing to take with me on all of insane work travel. (I almost - for real real - passed out from lack of food in Sky Harbor this evening. not good.)

I'm going to have to hunt these down.

Matty O said...

how many pictures can one person post of themselves drinking a protein shake in one post? I forgot to count... but TOO MANY ;)