Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Have A Nice Day -BJ



[This is my first attempt at a video blog post --- really hoping this works.]

I'm a big believer in treating people well.


But I've come to accept a key fact about life: people may never treat me as well as I try to treat them. [family excluded -  my family rocks!]

I have a generous and sensitive heart. Where I may have shortcomings of financial generosity, I feel I compensate tenfold with loving arms, open ears and an opinion that is rarely clouded with unreasonable judgment.

"Treat people as you'd like to be treated," was a popular theme in my home growing up.

I was having a great night, last night.  The Pita had a work event to attend so I treated myself to a spin class at the gym.  Awesome.  Sweating buckets kind of awesome.   On my way to pick up my girl from the Kids Club [ a whopping 30 steps away] --- whammo. A wretched, horrible comment [that I wouldn't even say to my worst enemy].

And in an instant, my heart was sad [and a little mad].

I told myself what I'd tell Peanut, "Buck up buttercup". . ."Consider the source" . .  .but it wasn't really working.

My brain dashed through a thousand thoughts. "REALLY?! Who would say such a thing?".

Do unto others. It's such a basic principle, and yet so many of us [including myself] have swiftly forgotten how vital this basic premise is to maintain a peaceful life/society.

It's an ideology that is essential to even our closest relationships.

Looking back on some of my connections - both romantic and those of a friendly nature - I do sometimes feel like I've come out on the short end of the stick. While other times I feel like all I do is take [especially when it comes to my amazing bro, sisters & parents]. I don't know that there's any way to truly avoid that; sometimes we are givers, other times we are takers.

I'm okay with that.

Maybe the "rude comment/lashing out" was do to something I did, that I'm not remembering. 

What I do remember is that [call me a mama's girl, I'm fine with it] my mom made it all better last night.  Yes, when I was being a "taker".  Just like many, many, many years ago.  Cleaning the wound.  Bandaging it.  And then telling me, "it's all going to be okay."

I believe her.

14 comments:

KovasP said...

A little bit of diversion huh? You already know how I feel about this, so let it go and just visualize that buckle and the next and the next until you have more buckles than shoes.

Karine said...

Love you! "Have a Nice Day".

Marlene said...

Keep doing your 'thang!

And I HEART JBJ!!!!!!

Rae said...

Just ignore those rude people saying mean things. They are just jealous because you are so awesome!

Kelly Leigh said...

since we are video posting and all, I will just say that this song plays on repeat in my head when that kind of shit goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlyghmTSIU

Aimee said...

I'm sorry! But, I agree with Rae. Usually when people say rude things it is because they are jealous. I know it's easier said then done, but try to push it out of your thoughts...you have an amazing run to do this weekend! :)

Sarah said...

I understand losing patience in tough situations, but I don't understand rude people. :(

Laurie said...

:( I really don't like mean people.

Nikki @ Balance and Moderation said...

Moms are the BEST! They make everything better!

ajh said...

How awful! Hope you are feeling great about yourself! You bring joy to so many of us with your posts!

Matty O said...

Did I read over the comment somewhere?! You CANNOT post about a comment and then not write THE COMMENT!!!

Regardless, that high road is getting a heck of a lot of use lately aye?

Emz said...

;)
I'd be happy to share it.

Just not on the blog.

Anna Walker said...

Ha I would love to know what they said . Seriously! That's silly, I fully believe in "do unto others as other you would do unto you." SO that said, I have major issues when people are mean. It's just not worth it!

I am glad your mom made it better :)

Megan said...

I wish I was more sensitive. I think it's a good thing to feel. I just don't have that part of me anymore. Good for you for making it all the way to being a grown up and not to have lost it.